A significantly lower number of people in the southeastern city of Mardin have applied to authorities this year to visit their relatives in Syria during the three day festival after the month of Ramadan, known as Eid al Fitr in Arabic. Officials say the decrease in numbers can be attributed to the mutual waiver of visas between Turkey and Syria in a deal struck earlier this year.

Every year, Turkey and Syria open the Hudut Gate at the Mardin border for visits between the two sides during religious holidays. The governor of the Nusaybin district, Murat Girgin, says 6,000 Turkish citizens are able to enter Syria during the holiday according to a protocol signed with Syria. However, only 2,030 people have applied this year. The application period has now expired.

Murat Girgin said that a total of 2,030 Turkish citizens will visit their Syrian relatives using their identification cards on the second day of the Ramadan holiday and will be able to stay there for 48 hours. Turkish citizens who spend the holiday with their relatives in Syria can bring back up to 300 euros worth of goods through customs.

The Department of Homeland Security is systematically reviewing thousands of pending immigration cases and moving to dismiss those filed against suspected illegal immigrants who have no serious criminal records, according to several sources familiar with the efforts.

Culling the immigration court system dockets of noncriminals started in earnest in Houston about a month ago and has stunned local immigration attorneys, who have reported coming to court anticipating clients’ deportations only to learn that the government was dismissing their cases.

Richard Rocha, an Immigration and Customs Enforcement spokesman, said Tuesday that the review is part of the agency’s broader, nationwide strategy to prioritize the deportations of illegal immigrants who pose a threat to national security and public safety. Rocha declined to provide further details.

Critics assailed the plan as another sign that the Obama administration is trying to create a kind of backdoor “amnesty” program.

New rules to strengthen Canada’s Temporary Foreign Worker Program were announced today by the Minister of Citizenship, Immigration and Multiculturalism.

Changes that were initially published in the Canada Gazette Part 1 on October 9, 2009 are now being implemented.

“The government is taking action to protect temporary foreign workers, including live-in caregivers, from potential abuse and exploitation,” said Minister Jason Kenney. “We owe it to them, their employers and all Canadians to ensure that the program is fair and equitable. After all, they are an essential element of Canada’s economic success.”
“These changes represent an important step. Temporary foreign workers help the Canadian economy by filling labour needs in sectors where Canadians or permanent residents are not readily available,” said Diane Finley, Minister of Human Resources and Skills Development. “Our government is taking action to improve the integrity of the program while ensuring that these people are afforded the necessary protections.”
Highlights of the changes, which come into effect on April 1, 2011, include:
* a more rigorous assessment of the genuineness of the job offer;
* a two-year prohibition from hiring temporary foreign workers for employers who fail to meet their commitments to workers with respect to wages, working conditions and occupation; and
* a limit on the length of time a temporary foreign worker may work in Canada before returning home.

Employers seeking to hire temporary foreign workers, including live-in caregivers, will now be assessed against past compliance with program requirements before authorization can be granted. Employers found to have violated worker rights may be refused authorization to hire a foreign worker. Canada’s Temporary Foreign Worker Program helps address temporary labour shortages by allowing employers to hire foreign workers when sufficient numbers of Canadian workers are not readily available. Without access to temporary foreign labour, many small businesses would not be able to function and would be forced into insolvency.

From 20 August 2010, as part of a global initiative to streamline processes, the Consular departments of the British Deputy High Commissions across India, including in Mumbai, will no longer be accepting passport applications. After this date, British passport holders should submit their applications to the British High Commission in New Delhi.

The new process will also lead to a change in timelines, in line with global standards and service in the UK. Passports for renewal will aim to be returned to customers in four weeks from the receipt of the correct documentation and fee. First time passport applications are expected to take a minimum of 12 weeks in order to complete all required checks and verifications
Within this period if a British passport holder needs to travel urgently, the Consular office at the British Deputy High Commission in Mumbai and those in Delhi, Chennai, Kolkata and Goa will be able to issue an emergency travel document, provided that the pending application is for a renewal and is not a first time application.

New U.S. legislation that sharply boosts visa fees to pay for tighter border security may play well in some parts of the country, but the applause is faint in Silicon Valley.

The measure, signed into law by President Barack Obama on Friday, is expected to raise operating costs for outsourcing firms that use large numbers of foreign-born employees to serve their U.S. customers. But the biggest impact, critics say, is to increase the perception that America is becoming more protectionist and hostile toward foreigners.

“It’s adding to the negativity about America,” said Vivek Wadhwa, a visiting scholar at the University of California and research associate at Duke University who studies immigration issues. “The money raised is insignificant and the damage is huge.”
Backers of the bill predict the visa fee increase will raise about $200 million a year to help pay for a $600 million appropriation to beef up security on the U.S.-Mexico border. The money is expected to pay for improvements that include hiring more border guards, boosting the number of federal agents and drone aircraft used for surveillance.

More…

n future if your UK Naturalisation and Citizenship application is refused and you wish UKBA to reconsider their decision you will need to pay a GBP100 fee. Since 6 April 2010 the UK Government has had the power to charge fees for the reconsideration of a refused application for UK naturalization or registration as a British Citizen.

From 1 September 2010 the following changes will come into place:
* You will have to pay a GBP100 fee for reconsideration of a refused UK Naturalisation or Citizenship application.

* If you do not pay the GBP100 for a reconsideration of your citizenship application you reconsideration application will be considered invalid and will be returned.

* If your application for reconsideration is unsuccessful the UK Government will keep the GBP100 fee. If your application is successful GBP80 will be kept to pay for the citizenship ceremony (if relevant). The remaining GBP20 fee paid will be refunded.

UK immigration has announced another review of the UK Tier 4 student visa scheme. There has been a on third increase in student numbers in the twelve months to March 2010:
* For the period to March 2009 there were 235,295 student visas and 24,780 dependants.

* For the period to March 2010 there were 313,011 student visas and 31,385 dependants. This is an increase of 75,000 compared to the previous year.

Immigration Minister Damian Green had the following to say:
“We are committed to attracting the brightest and the best to the UK, and welcome legitimate students coming here for study. However, in the past there has been significant abuse of the student route, and we need to ensure that every student who comes to the UK is genuine. Therefore I am undertaking a thorough evaluation of the student system over the coming weeks and months and I will introduce new measures to minimize abuse and tighten the system further.”
The current Coalition Government and the previous Labor Government have been concerned that the UK student visa system has been used in some cases by students who are not genuine students. It was because of these concerns that Tier 4 Student visas were suspended for students from Pakistan and Nepal for a time earlier this year.

It seems quite likely that following the review there will be changes in future making it more difficult to come under the tier 4 student visa scheme. If you wish to come to the UK on a tier 4 student visa you should consider applying soon.

The national and regional director for Africa of South Africa Tourism, Phumi Dhlomo said that Angolan journalists who wish to travel to South Africa for reporting activity, mainly in tourism sector, may benefit from certain facilities, such as visa concession and authorization to work in that Southern Africa country.

The official released this information to journalists, during a meeting in the South African Embassy, with the aim to let know that South Africa wants to cooperate with the Angolan mass media organs on publishing information about the country, mainly concerning tourism.

According to Phumi Dhlomo, the South African government is interested in understanding Angolan mass media, such as, news agency, radio stations, newspapers and television stations to establish partnerships and promote this country, in several areas, as well as a tourism destination.

“We are interested in knowing how well Angolan mass media know South Africa. We broadcast a lot of information in the countries where we work and Angola is one of them chosen for this purpose”, said Phumi Dhlomo. The diplomat informed that the government of his country pointed out tourism sector as priority to strengthen cooperation with Angola.

Malaysia is to abolish the visa-on-arrival (VOA) facility effective Monday (August 16, 2010), Immigration director-general Datuk Abdul Rahman Othman announced today. As such, all foreign nationals requiring a visa to enter the country must apply for it at the offices of Malaysian missions overseas, he said in a statement. He said the Cabinet Committee on Foreign Workers and Illegal Immigrants decided that the VOA facility granted to the nationals of several countries be abolished.

Mr. Othman added that the VOA facility is being abolished because it has been misused and this has had a negative effect on Malaysia.

Deputy Prime Minister Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin had announced early this month that the VOA would no longer be issued at the country’s points of entry as there had been gross misuse of the facility.

British Ambassador to Kuwait, Frank Baker said recently that since the beginning of the year more than 38,000 visas were issued for Kuwaiti citizens, and an estimated 20,000 tourist visas were issued in the past two months. The ambassador’s statements came during a news conference at the Visa Application Centre (VAC). “We are proud of providing good services”, the ambassador said, noting that all visas were issued within 48 hours. He welcomed all those applying to study in the UK, stressing the importance of applying for the student visa as early as possible, since processing takes 5-10 working days.

On his part, the Director of the Visa Application Centre (VAC) in Kuwait, Paul Dryden said that the center was keen on issuing as many visas as possible for Kuwaiti citizens, stateless (bedoun), and also third country citizens, as long as all documents were in order. “We will make it as easy as possible,” he added. On the other hand, Ambassador Frank Baker referred to the joint security agreement signed between Kuwait and the UK yesterday, and said that both countries have maintained a close security relationship since 1961 after Kuwait’s independence. Britain had sent troops to protect Kuwait from the Iraqi threats, and in 1991, it played a major part in the war to liberate Kuwait from the Iraqi seven-month occupation, and again took part in the 2003 war to liberate Iraq and the ousting of the regime of Saddam Hussain.

Security agreements between Kuwait and the UK are very clear, historic and have been stable for a long time. The MOU signed in London yesterday consists of working together in the security field, and UK playing a leading role in advising Kuwait on internal security,” he said. The ambassador affirmed that the new UK government, headed by David Cameron, had made it clear that the Gulf area is extremely important to the UK, Kuwait in particular. Therefore; working on boosting relations between the UK and the Gulf region, illustrated in additional exchanged officials visits between the two sides, is of priority.